Packaging design, research

To being with, I am going to choose two existing product designs to analyse. I will be paying particular attention to the visual language and investigate why these designs work.

Kellog's



This is a typical Kellog's cornflake, cereal box. It uses just several, simple and bold colours to create its statement. The entire design is built on the base colour, white, which provides a high-contrast with the other coloured elements.



I have used a colour swatch, as shown above, to demonstrate the combined effect of the base colours Kellog's have used. I will create a couple swatches of my own that have a similar effect.





The above swatches use complementary colours and a swatch of white, just like the Kellog's design.


Heritage Playsets

Next, I will run through the Heritage Playsets packaging design, as shown below:

 

This design makes use of strong, bold colours. I will represent them in two swatches below, one for each box design.





As you can see, apart from the images of the product, the packaging itself only uses three different colours. White text is used on black, providing high-contrast and easy-to-read typography. The base colour used, could quite easily be called florescent, and certainly catches the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment