Icon design

Having drawn close to my final design, I was in the need of an icon for my product. These small, unique symbols can be found on most fragrance packages. I filled a page in my sketchbook of ideas. The one that stood out the most, to me, was a leaf design. It was quite a fresh looking icon, and went well with the product so I set out to remake it in Illustrator.

Briefly, here's how:

Two create one side of the leaf, I used the arc tool.



Initially, this gave me a curved stroke which I could them duplicate and then reflect (mirror) the other, before joining them at both ends. That gave a shape for me to work with, that looked like this:

 

It was now a matter of adding anchor points to these paths and creating a curvacious leaf from them. Here is what mine looked like after I'd finished with the anchor point adaptions:





Although this shape seems complete, it only takes up one path in a layer, which can be seen above.

Here is the final outcome, after changing the stroke properties to give it a little bit more of an dynamic touch:


No comments:

Post a Comment