index.html

So, I opened up my text editor and saved my home page as index.html. I then created a default.css and print.css (for later) and saved them in a folder called 'css', in the root.

I needed to start writing the framework of what each page would soon consist of. It is important to start with a DOCTYPE to ensure interoperability.

A snippet, below, from A List Apart, on DOCTYPE's.

"Per HTML and XHTML standards, a DOCTYPE (short for “document type declaration”) informs the validator which version of (X)HTML you’re using, and must appear at the very top of every web page. DOCTYPEs are a key component of compliant web pages: your markup and CSS won’t validate without them."


The image above shows how I've laid out my DOCTYPE, html, head open tags. I have also set my page title.

I now need to link both of the CSS documents I've created in the correct manner.


As you can see, my style-sheets are linked for both screen and print media. I've closed my head tag and will start creating the page, within body. I shall start by creating my wrapper div that shall hold my site in its entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment