Here's how I went about turning the large alpha-transparent PNG24 of the gems into an 8-bit version without losing quality and whilst keeping the required alpha-transparency!
24-bit PNG24 Characteristics
- Holds 24-bits of colour (16-million)
- Similar to JPEG
- Alpha-type transparency
- Holds 8-bits of colour (256)
- Similar to GIF
- Indexed-type transparency (In Photoshop)
Indexed transparency allows a single colour to be transparent (like GIF), whereas alpha-transparency allows multiple levels of transparency (like PNG24). This becomes especially important if you're using glow-like effects or drop-shadows - a feathered edge requires more than just one colour to be transparent to work!
I found an article which helped me right away.
"...Fireworks really shines when optimizing to PNG8 files where it allows both alpha and index transparency..." (http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/png-optimization/)The image below shows the custom settings I used to optimise this image. Setting the format to PNG8 allowed me to drop my colours right down; I found 128 was optimal, any less and the illustration suffered. With alpha-transparency selected, the edges were smooth and with over a 60% reduction in filesize, mission was accomplished.
No comments:
Post a Comment