Photoshop - Character Design

Most of the entity's that will appear in my final products have been sketched out and experimented with in my sketchbook. For me, the idea generation and sketch experimentation takes far longer than the creation process, in Photoshop.

Below, I will some up the processes used to create my characters.

Humpty Dumpty - Frontal


His initial shape was first generated from an oval, using the elliptical selection tool.


The gradient used to cover Humpty was created by using a layer style, Gradient Overlay.


Next came Humpty's pants, created by first selecting him and then narrowing the selection to his lower-half, then filling it with blue. A gradient overlay is then applied using layer styling, again.


To give Humpty's pants more of an identifiable look, I decided to give him a leg by creating a selection of half of his pants and filling it a semi-transparent white.


In every picture I saw Humpty, he would always be wearing a shirt, I decided to give him a left-and-right lapel by creating two upside-down triangles and giving them a Gradient Overlay.


The bow-tie was created by polarizing an image of a bow-tie.

Humpty Dumpty - Side


By removing the right lapel and shrinking the left-lapel with the bow-tie over to the left (using the transform tool), gave the effect of Humpty being turned.


I added a shirt collar to Humpty creating a selection and filling it white. The depth was added by using layer styling by adding a Gradient Overlay.

Public Humpty's


The above image of a different-looking Humpty was created by modifying the original, frontal Humpty dumpty. This was done by giving the trousers a different colour overlay, using layer styles. The hair-tuft was added with a black brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment