After Effects - Process

Below, I will describe the generic process I used to import my graphics into After Effects and the methods used to animation them.


Importing artwork from multiple PSD's is as easy as double-clicking on the project window and then selecting (in multiple, if you like) the files you wish to add to your project. These files will then appear in your project library and you can add them to directories within this project, known as bins, to keep your workspace tidy.


After importing my artwork, the next thing to do was create a composition so that I could begin compositing. This was best done by dragging the background PSD into the composition window, which then set-up the composition with the correct settings for my media.


With my artwork imported, I began to build my composition timeline. Each asset was placed on top of the base-scene layer, in order of precedence, ready for animating. The animation properties of each layer are brought up by clicking on the rotational arrow beside a layers name. Keyframes are added at spaces in time to store values on the timeline; shown above.


Each keyframe that is added can also be manipulated in the graph editor to change the way in which it's interpolated. Above, you can see basic, linear interpolation. A bezier-type interpolation would show curvaceous lines, showing us that acceleration and deceleration was occurring to the animated values.


Having animated most of my assets using the timeline and graph editor, I was surprised to learn that the best way of animating a horizontal-transform, was to enable 3D space on the asset. This was required, so that the hawk shown in the above scene could change the direction in which it was flying (giving a circling effect). With 3D space enabled on the layer, by ticking the treat layer as 3D icon, I was then able to animate on several new axis; shown above.

No comments:

Post a Comment