Post-production is, in fact, many different processes grouped under one name. These typically include:Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-production
Typically, the post-production phase of creating a film takes longer than the actual shooting of the film, and can take several months to complete.
- Editing the picture / television program
- Writing, (re)recording, and editing the soundtrack.
- Adding visual special effects - mainly computer-generated imagery (CGI) and digital copy from which release prints will be made (although this may be made obsolete by digital-cinema technologies).
- Sound Design, Sound Effects, ADR, Foley and Music, culminating in a process known as sound re-recordinging or mixing.
- Transfer of film to Video or Data with a telecine and Color grading.
Camera
The Kodak Zi8 was simple to use and simple to transfer footage from. After plugging it into my Mac, I transferred the QuickTime movies, which are encoded to h.264 (An end-user codec), to a folder called footage on my HDD.
Compressor
I then used Compressor to transcode my media to Apple's ProRes 422, which is an intermediate codec designed for production, in my case, editing.
"The benefit of an intermediate codec is that it retains higher quality than end user codecs while still requiring much less expensive disk systems compared to uncompressed video."
Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProRes_422#Intermediate_codecs

Above: Selecting codec profile.

Above: Submitting batch to queue.

Above: Queue - Encoding in process.
Final Cut Studio
When Compressor was finished with the batch, my transcoded footage resided in a folder I had created. I could now simply open a new project in Final Cut Pro and import this folder as a new bin.
I could have pre-set my sequence settings, but, Final Cut Pro gives the user a promt when it detects media in the timeline that's different to the sequence settings and gives you the option to change it. This can be seen below:
I am now ready to get editing!

No comments:
Post a Comment